Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Gear Box: Kiwi Camp Dry Water Repellant and Fabric Protection

Lets face it. Good outdoor gear is expensive, and when we spend our hard earned money on it, we want it to last as long as possible. That's why it is important to take good care of our gear, keep it clean, and protected, as much as possible, from the elements. Recently I was sent a couple of samples of Camp Dry Performance Fabric Protection and Heavy Duty Water Repellent from Kiwi, and after putting both to the test, I can say that it is a great way to protect your favorite gear and keep it around as long as possible.

Way back in early January, I took a trip to Yellowstone for a little winter fun, and while I had a great pair of winter boots for romping around in the snow, I took another pair of hiking boots with me for more casual moments. Of course, "causal" in Yellowstone in the winter, still means plenty of cold and snow, so before I left I used the Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent spray on my hiking boots. The result, was dry feet and well protected boots, that kept out the moisture, ensuring that my toes stayed warm as well. A month later, I put the water repellent to an entirely different test, by wearing those same boots to South Africa. It was summer there, and a wet one at that. The boots stayed dry in that climate as well, proving that the Camp Dry formula works in the extremes of conditions.

Similarly, the Fabric Protection silicon spray worked great as well. I applied it to my winter jacket and shell pants, which were put through to the test in Yellowstone, with snow, sleet, freezing rain, high winds, and more. Through it all, they performed beautifully, keeping me warm and dry under all conditions, while weathering the storm, both literally and proverbially, even better than expected. That gear was worn on the slopes, while zip-lining, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and more, and it came out looking brand new, and without a single blemish.

Both products are fantastic and extending the longevity of your gear, and works great not only on your boots and apparel, but also on your other gear as well. I definitely recommend them both on your packs and the water repellent works well on tents too. They even work on Gore-Tex, which isn't the case for all products like these.

MSRP on either of these products is $7.99, which is a small price to pay for keeping our gear well protected. It just might be the best eight bucks you ever spend.