Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Space Shuttle Lands For The Final TIme

At 5:56 AM ET, the Space Shuttle Atlantis touched down at Kennedy Space Center for the final time, bringing to a close the shuttle era. The video below shows that final landing, and although it is a little on the dark side, you can still catch history in the making. It could be my imagination, but it seems that even the announcer is a bit choked up.

I have been fortunate enough to visit the Kennedy Space Center and see the shuttle on the launch pad in all of its glory. A few days later, I was luck enough to witness a night launch as well. For most of my life, the Space Shuttle has represented exploration and a quest for knowledge, and I'm sad to see it go. Lets hope the next era of space travel isn't as far off as it seems at the moment.