Thursday, October 6, 2011

Off To The Rafting World Championships in Costa Rica!

As I write this, I'm finishing up preparation to leave for Costa Rica today where I'll be attending the World Rafting Championship. The event kicked off this morning and races begin tomorrow, with teams from 35 different countries on hand to take part in a head-to-head competition that should be a lot of fun to watch.

The event is being held in Turrialba, which is widely considered one of the top rafting destinations in the world. I'm told that the town is nestled snugly into the jungle, and the nearby Pacuare River has Class IV+ rapids to run, which should provide the perfect setting for this competition, which will include sprint races, slaloms, and more.

I'll post updates and photos from the event when I get the chance, and share more thoughts on Costa Rica as an adventure destination as well. This is my first visit to the country, but I've heard great things, so I'm looking forward to checking it out for myself.

I'm only there for an extended weekend however, so regular postings will resume on Monday and if I have the opportunity, I'll post some images while I'm on site. It should be great fun and this will be my first stamp in my newly renewed passport! Yay!